Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Sense of Humour

Humour often passes me by. Yet others obviously receive and givemuch pleasure from humour. Re reading many of my blog posts on occasion illustrates a lack in the jokes department. Another BU Blogger has a great blog interspersed with good humour see the Subliminal Mr Dunn at:
http://capeldunn.blogspot.com/

Often a good joke seems to be at someone else's expense and sometimes it is said that in the New Testament Jesus did not display a sense of humour. The latter view is I feel wrong - take the case of the Woman at the Well :
Go call your husband and both of you come back here.
The woman answered:
I
do not have a husband.
Jesus said to her:
You have answered correctly
that you do not have a husband, for you have had five husbands and the man your
now living with is not your husband. You have told the truth.

Fawlty Towers humour too I find side splittingly funny on occasion eg when Basil Fawlty's old British Leyland car breaks down in a scene which at the time long suffering BL ownersmust themselves have experienced, berates God for letting him suffer in that way. Jokes at God's expense I have always assumed are fine - his shoulders as our creater are bound to be broad enough to take our attempts at jokes at his expense.

Still jocular levity can be good for the heart as well as the soul - I could do with some more.

1 comment:

  1. Jerry, I am honoured and flattered. You can't imagine how much pleasure your kind words have given me.
    I must confess I didn't know that story from the New Testament. It made me laugh a lot!
    I haven't been in touch much recently mainly because your recent subjects have been beyond my particular sphere of experience. But I see you've just penned another post so I'm going to have a look at that now.

    ReplyDelete

An Enemy of the People

The play was set at the Duke of York's Theatre in London's St Martins' Lane and is an updated production of the Henrik Ibsen ori...